Butter cake. A rich full cake with a strong butter taste.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 8 oz unsalted butter, med-hard consistency
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ egg white
- slivered almonds (optional)
- Grease a 1½ x 8" round cake pan and dust it with flour.
- Mix the flour, baking powder and sugar.
- Cut in the butter.
- Make very sure that the butter is neither too hard nor too soft (remove from fridge 1 hour before using)
- Mix well.
- Add almond extract, salt and egg yolk.
- Mix well or just grease your hands and knead the dough, until it is very smooth.
- Place the dough into the prepared pan and press down firmly.
- Brush the top generously with the egg white.
- slivered almonds may be placed on the top of the cake for extra flavor.
- Bake at 350°F for 35 minutes.
- Allow to cool thoroughly before serving.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.