- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ medium bulb fennel, chopped (1 cup)
- 4 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp fennel seeds, lightly crushed
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen baby lima beans
- 6 oz green beans, trimmed and halved (1½ cups)
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup canned crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup Kalamata, rinsed, halved and pitted
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 12 oz dried bow-tie pasta (farfalle)
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (2 oz; optional)
- Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and fennel and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and fennel seeds and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in broth and lima beans and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in green beans and salt, reduce heat to medium and simmer until all beans are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and simmer, stirring occasionally, until flavors have blended, about 5 minutes. Stir in parsley and pepper.
- Shortly before sauce is ready, add bow ties to boiling water; stir to prevent sticking. Cook, stirring often, until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain well and place in large warm serving bowl.
- Add bean mixture and toss to coat. Serve sprinkled with Parmesan if desired.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.