This dish is served to children, young and old, on 6th December (St. Nicholas Day) each year.
- Sift flour into a large bowl and make a well in the center for the yeast.
- Add a tbsp of sugar and a bit of warm milk.
- Mix a bit to just get the ingredients together.
- Cover and allow to rest for 15 minutes whip one egg with the butter and add to the dough along with the rest of the milk, butter and salt.
- Mix well and knead the dough.
- Leave to rise for about 20 minutes.
- Knead the dough again, then on a floured surface, make little men out of the dough and put them on parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Allow to rise again for 20 minutes.
- Brush them with beaten egg then bake them for 20 to 30 minutes in a preheated oven at 180°C to 200°C.
- Once baked, the boxemännercher can be iced.
- Just dissolve half a cup of powdered sugar in a bit of water and brush onto the little men.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.