- 3-4 green chiles, skinned, seeds removed
- chopped 3-lb Chicken, cut into 8 to 10 pieces
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 Onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg salt
- pepper to taste
- Melt the butter and oil and brown the Chicken, a few pieces at a time. As the Chicken browns, remove and keep warm. Add the Onion rings and saute until soft.
- Add the broth, nutmeg, salt, pepper, and chile and bring to a boil. Put the Chicken back in the pan, cover with the stock, reduce the heat, and simmer until the Chicken is done—about 45 minutes.
- Variation: Make a stew by adding coarsely chopped onions, tomatoes, and corn while the Chicken is simmering.