Purchased from Tibbenham Estate in Anna, Texas in 1997. Notation on card says “great comfort food”. Benji loves it. Dated 1932.
- Contributed by Cat's Recipes Y-Group
- 6 lamb shanks
- ⅓ cup cooking oil
- 2 medium sized white onions, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 carrots, sliced
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 cup boiling water
- 7½ ounce can tomato sauce
- 4 tablespoons flour
- ⅓ cup water
- Heat oil in large saucepan and brown shanks in hot oil.
- Remove shanks.
- Add vegetables and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add shanks, garlic powder, salt, pepper, rosemary and bay leaf.
- Combine bouillon cube and boiling water; add to meat and vegetable mixture.
- Stir in tomato sauce.
- Cover tightly and simmer for about 2 hours or until shanks are tender.
- Stir occasionally.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Combine flour and water; stir into mixture, stir and cook until thickened.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.