Purchased from the Patterson Estate in Tyler, Texas in 1992. Dated 1944.
- Contributed by Cat's Recipes Y-Group
- 6 lamb shanks
- 2 large white onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, trimmed and finely chopped
- 20 black olives
- 4 tablespoons capers
- 2 cups dried figs, halved
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed but not peeled
- 1 bottle merlot wine
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 cup beef stock
- salt and pepper to season
- In a deep dish put the lamb shanks, onions, celery, capers, dried figs, rosemary, black pepper and garlic and pour over the wine.
- Cover and marinate in the refrigerator overnight or for at least 4 hours.
- Remove the shanks from the marinade and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and brown the shanks on all sides.
- Transfer to a casserole.
- Add the tomato paste to the pan and stir over a moderate heat until it becomes quite a deep reddish brown color.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil.
- Pour over the lamb shanks and add the reserved marinade ingredients.
- Cover and cook at 325 for 2 hours until the meat is almost falling off the bone.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.