- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 pounds cubed veal for stew
- salt to taste
- 1 cup Marsala or other sweet wine
- 1 butternut squash, about 1 pound, halved, seeds and fibers removed, peeled, cut into ½-inch cubes, and parboiled in salted water for 5 minutes
- 1½ cups meat or chicken broth, or as needed
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Warm 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a sauté pan over low heat.
- Add the onions, garlic, and rosemary and sauté until tender and translucent, about 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Warm the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a heavy pot over high heat.
- Add the meat and brown well on all sides, sprinkling with a little salt after it has browned.
- Add the wine and let it bubble up.
- Add the sautéed onions, the butternut squash, and the broth to cover and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer gently until the meat is tender and the Squash has formed a puree, 1 to 1¼ hours.
- Season with salt and pepper before serving.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.