- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (1 to 1¼ lbs.), peeled and diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 small hot green chile pepper, or more to taste, minced
- 2 (16 oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 ripe mango, pitted, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ tsp salt
- Swiss chard
- Steam some Swiss chard while the stew is simmering and serve with warmed flour tortillas.
- In large pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook, stirring, until onion is golden, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in sweet potatoes, bell pepper, tomatoes (with liquid), chile and 1½ cups water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender but still firm, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in beans and simmer gently, uncovered, until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in mango and cook until heated through, about 1 minute.
- Stir in cilantro and salt.
- Serve hot.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.