- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 white loaf of bread (stale)
- 4 cups milk
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Combine Sugar and water in a saucepan, and stir constantly over low heat until Sugar is completely dissolved.
- Increase heat to high, and allow to boil, without stirring again, until a nice golden color.
- Pour into cake pan.
- Try to coat the pan with the caramel but be careful not to burn your hands from splattering
- Remove crusts from bread and cut into small cubes: you should have about 4 cups of crumb.
- Pour over milk, and allow to sit for 30-60 minutes.
- With your hands, squish up the bread until it is one big mash.
- Do not use a mixer or food processor, which would totally destroy the texture.
- Beat eggs with Sugar and vanilla until light, and stir into the bread mixture to combine.
- Pour bread mixture into pan.
- Place cake tin in a baking dish full of water, and bake in a moderate oven 50-60 min. until set.
- Cool, and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from mold and serve.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.