Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
- 3 large eggs
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups milk
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup coarsely chopped dry roasted pecans
- 5 cups very stale French or Italian bread cubes with crust on (may substitute sourdough bread)
Lemon sauce Edit
- 1 lemon, halved
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tsp cornstarch dissolved in ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In large bowl with electric mixer, beat eggs on high speed until extremely frothy and bubbles are the size of pinheads, about 3 minutes (or with a metal whisk about 6 minutes).
- Add sugar, vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon and butter and beat on high until well blended.
- Beat in milk, then stir in raisins and pecans.
- Place bread cubes in a greased loaf pan.
- Pour egg mixture over them and toss until bread is soaked.
- Let sit until you see only a narrow bead of liquid around pan's edges, about 45 minutes, patting bread down into liquid occasionally.
- Place in preheated 350 °F oven.
- Immediately lower heat to 300 °F and bake 40minutes and puffy, about 15 – 20 minutes more.
- To serve, put a slice of bread pudding on a dessert plate and pour lemon sauce on top.
Lemon sauce Edit
- Squeeze 2 tablespoons juice from lemon halves and place juice in 1-quart saucepan; add lemon halves, water, sugar and bring to boil.
- Stir in dissolved cornstarch and vanilla.
- Cook 1 minute over high heat,stirring constantly.
- Strain, squeezing sauce from lemon rinds.
- Makes about ¾ cup.
- Serve warm over bread pudding slice.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.