Purchased from the Wagner Estate in Wichita Falls, Texas in 1990. Note on card indicates this is a holiday family favorite. Dated 1927. This one is a mainstay in my house. I have made it at least a dozen times for dinner guests. Yummy.
- Contributed by Cat's Recipes Y-Group
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2½ cups whole milk
- 4 eggs, beaten
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 slices dry bread cubed
- ⅓ cup chopped pecans
- ⅓ cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a 10" skillet heat sugar over low heat without stirring until it begins to melt.
- After sugar starts to melt, stir constantly for 3 to 5 minutes until light brown.
- Gradually stir in milk.
- Heat and stir until sugar is re-melted.
- Remove from heat.
- Gradually stir hot milk mixture into eggs, stir in vanilla and salt.
- Place bread cubes in ungreased baking dish.
- Pour egg mixture over all.
- Sprinkle pecans and raisins on top.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.