- Break bread into ovenproof dish (1½ quart at least).
- Soften bread with small amount of milk.
- Beat sugar and egg yolks.
- Add milk, stir well.
- Add vanilla and salt.
- Pour milk mixture over bread.
- Fold in raisins if used.
- Cut butter into chunks and fold in.
- Place dish in pan of water and bake at 300 degrees for 40 – 50 minutes, or until a silver knife inserted comes out clean.
- Make meringue adding 2 level tablespoons sugar to each egg white.
- Spread, and return to 350°F oven until brown (browning in a slow oven prevents falling).
- Serve warm.
- Cook until dissolved.
- Remove from heat, add whiskey to individual taste.