Contributed by Healthy Recipes For Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Original recipe
- Makes 8 servings
- refrigerated butter-flavored cooking spray
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 1½ tablespoons (19 g) unsalted butter, softened
- ⅓ cup (35 g) chopped dried apricots, soaked in 2 tablespoons (30 ml) brandy for 5 minutes
- 1 large baking apple, cored, peeled, and chopped
- ¼ cup (36 g) golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon (12 g) sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup (180 ml) egg substitute
- 2¼ cups (540 ml) 1% low-fat milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 180°C / gas mark 4.
- Lightly coat a 2-quart ( l) casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Trim and discard the crusts off each bread slice.
- Thinly butter each slice and cut into quarters.
- Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the soaked apricots, apple, and raisins.
- Place half of the fruit mixture into the prepared dish.
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon.
- Sprinkle ⅓ of the mixture over the fruit.
- Top with half of the bread quarters, the remaining fruit mixture and another ⅓ of the sugar mixture.
- Arrange the remaining bread quarters on top, buttered side up.
- Whisk the egg substitute and milk together, and pour over the bread.
- Sprinkle with remaining ⅓ of the sugar mixture.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the dish for at least 10 minutes before spooning into dessert bowls.
Nutritional information Edit
- 170 calories (0% calories from fat) | 7 g protein | 4 g total fat (2.0 g saturated fat) | 27 g carbohydrates | 3 g dietary fiber | 9 mg cholesterol | 338 mg potassium | 194 mg sodium
- Diabetic exchanges: ½ very lean protein | 2 carbohydrate (1 bread/starch, 1 fruit) | ½ fat
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.