Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Serves 4 to 6.
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 lbs (900 g) beef stew meat cut into 1-inch (3 cm) pieces
- all-purpose flour for dredging
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 ribs celery, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 2 cups (500 ml) Guinness stout or other dark beer
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) tomato paste
- 2 tsp (10 ml) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) English mustard powder
- a 1x3-inch (3x8 cm) piece of orange peel
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large heavy pot (Dutch oven) over high heat.
- Coat the beef lightly with flour and fry in batches until well browned on all sides.
- Transfer the beef to a plate and fry the onions in the same pot until browned, about 15 minutes.
- Add the celery and carrots during the last 5 minutes.
- Return the beef and any accumulated juices to the pot.
- Add the remaining ingredients, adding enough water to cover the meat if necessary, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer covered until the beef is very tender, 2 to 2½ hours.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.