- 1 bunch broccoli or 1 lb frozen chopped broccoli
- 6 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp water
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- Wash broccoli and cut into small florets. Cut the tender parts of the stem into smallish cubes or save for Broccoli Stem Pickled Pennies or Broccoli Cole Slaw.
- Steam in a microwave steamer or over boiling water until barely tender and still bright green (about 3-1/2 to 5 minutes in a microwave, depending on the volume of broccoli and water). Don't overcook: with all cruciferae, this is a very important guideline!
- Place olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Chop or mince the garlic.
- When the oil is hot, add the salt, then the garlic.
- Sauté, stirring frequently, just until the garlic starts to soften.
- Quickly add the water, and the cayenne if desired. Turn heat low and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Place the broccoli in a large glass or crockery serving bowl.
- Pour the garlic mixture over it, mixing gently to coat.
- Serve and enjoy. Leftovers are delicious cold, added to salads.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.