Description EditThis red-hot, meaty appetizer is made with chicken livers, real bacon, and chestnuts, enriched with soy sauce and herbs, and broiled to sizzling, golden-brown perfection. You can make this with real meat and spices for serving as a side dish or appetizer.
- ½ lb. chicken livers, thawed
- 1 ¾ cup melted margarine or butter
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- 1 tsp. pepper, black only
- 1 tbsp. thyme
- 10 pieces bacon, store-bought only
- 3 tsp. soy sauce, dark or light only
- 5 water chestnuts
- Slice the bacon strips in half and water chestnuts in quarters.
- Marinate the sliced bacon strips and water chestnuts in soy sauce.
- Slice the chicken livers into small pieces. Wrap the chicken livers and water chestnuts with the sliced bacon strips.
- Secure with a toothpick. Place livers on a shallow, baking dish.
- Brush with melted margarine or butter. Sprinkle with garlic salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Broil until done, turning once, about 5 minutes. Serve hot and plain or with rice or other appetizers, main dishes, or side dishes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.