- Tomato Vinaigrette (see recipe below)
- 1 small unpeeled eggplant, cut into eight ¾-inch slices (about 1 lb.)
- 1½ teaspoons fresh basil, chopped (or ½ teaspoon dried basil)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 oz provolone cheese, cut into strips
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried basil)
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Combine the ingredients into a bowl.
- Set aside.
- Turn oven on to broil.
- Spray a 12-inch nonstick skillet with an ovenproof handle with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.
- Spray both sides of eggplant and place in skillet.
- Sprinkle ¾ teaspoon of basil and ⅛ teaspoon of the salt over eggplant slices.
- Cook eggplant for 5 minutes until tender and remove from heat.
- Arrange provolone cheese over eggplant.
- Place skillet in oven with cheese surface about 3 inches from the heat and broil for about 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve eggplant topped with Tomato Vinaigrette.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.