- 2 lb whole wheat flour
- 2 lb white flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 oz shortening
- 1 oz yeast
- 2 tsp Sugar
- Warm water
- Dissolve the Sugar in a little warm water then sprinkle yeast on top and allow to rise.
- Sift the flour and salt, and add about ¼ of the total amount of flour to the yeast mixture. Cover and leave in a warm place to set the sponge (i.e. until the mixture is bubbly) -- about 1 hour.
- If shortening is used, rub it into the remainder of the flour using fingertips or a fork until the mixture is like breadcrumbs.
- Add this flour to yeast mixture and knead well until a smooth elastic dough is formed. Add some more warm water if necessary, as a hard dry dough does not rise well.
- Put the dough in a greased or floured bowl, cover and leave to rise to twice its size.
- Knead lightly to avoid bursting any bubbles, and without using extra flour if necessary. Mould or shape into loaves.
- Cover and prove.
- Bake in a hot oven until thoroughly cooked.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.