Makes 6 servings.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 x 15- to 16-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- ¾ cup (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup plain low-fat yogurt
- ¼ cup prepared salsa
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add onion, garlic, chili powder and cumin.
- Saute 3 to 5 minutes until onion is tender.
- Add rice, and beans; cook, stirring 2 to 3 minutes until mixture is thoroughly heated; sprinkle the chopped cilantro over the mixture, stir well, and remove from heat.
- Top each serving with 2 tablespoons cheese, 1 tablespoon green onion, and 1 tablespoon of either salsa, sour cream, or guacamole.
- Serve with a small side salad of chopped organic romaine and mixed color cherry tomatoes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.