Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
- 1 pkg. yeast
- ¼ cup honey
- 5 cups whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1½ cups cooked brown rice at room temperature
- ¾ cup unbleached white flour for kneading
- Pour 2¾ cups lukewarm water into large mixing bowl and stir in yeast.
- Set aside 5 minutes to dissolve, then with wooden spoon stir in honey and 3 cups wheat flour. Beat vigorously 1 minute.
- Cover with plastic wrap in warm spot 30 minutes or until double in size.
- Stir in oil and salt.
- Add brown rice; Beat in last 2 cups wheat flour, ½ ccup at a time (to make a stiff dough).
- Turn out on floured board and knead about 7 minutes adding flour as needed to prevent sticking.
- Form into ball and place in oiled bowl, turning to coat with oil.
- Cover with plastic wrap, let double.
- Sprinkle baking sheet with cornmeal.
- Punch down dough and knead briefly on floured surface.
- Divide in half and shape into balls (flatten during baking).
- Place them diagonally on opposite corners of baking sheet, cover loosely with plastic, let rise.
- Remove plastic wrap. Slash across top.
- Bake about 45 minutes in 375 °F Oven.
- Cool on wire rack. I add a shredded carrot at the same time I add the rice.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.