- 4 tbsp oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 Medium aubergines (Eggplants)
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 stick of celery, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 1 tbsp Freshly chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- 2 heaped tbsp fresh Breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 180C, 350F, Gas Mark 4. Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the Onion and sauté gently for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, halve the aubergines and remove the flesh with a teaspoon, leave the skins in tact.
- Chop the aubergine flesh very roughly then add to the onions, raise the heat and sauté for 5 minutes stirring.
- Add the carrots, celery, tomatoes, garlic, parsley, bay leaf, pepper and salt and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Stuff the aubergine skins with the Onion mixture, place in a shall ovenproof dish and sprinkle with the breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 20–30 minutes. Traditionally served cold garnished with slices of lemon but can be served hot.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.