SERVES: 6 This hearty soup, made from the kinds of basic grains and legumes every Tunisian housewife has in her larder, is remarkably easy to put together. The seasonings, added at the end of the cooking time, give the soup depth.
- 1 cup dried Chickpeas (6 ounces), soaked overnight and drained
- 3/4 cup coarse bulgur (5 ounces), rinsed
- 1 cup small dried split fava beans (6 ounces)
- 2 quarts water
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- 1 tablespoon tabil
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- In a large, heavy saucepan, combine the Chickpeas, bulgur, favas, water and 1 cup of olive oil and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the Chickpeas and fava beans are completely broken down, about 4 hours.
- Stir in the tomato paste, harissa, tabil, paprika and garlic and simmer for 5 minutes longer.
- Season with salt and serve, passing extra olive oil at the table.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.