Similar to the crème brûlée or the dessert-based pudding, this cream-based dessert is made and with authentic rice, fruit, cream cheese, and heavy cream, and keeps a divine aroma with the strawberries. Toasted almonds occasionally work for this for garnishing, too.
- 3 cups cooked rice, white only
- 3 cups milk, regular or low-fat/skimmed only
- 1 ⅓ cup sugar, brown only, reserving one cup for mixing
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 3-ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 1 16-ounce package frozen sweetened whole strawberries, thawed, drained and sliced in half
- Combine rice, milk, sugar, and salt in a saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat until thick and creamy, about 30 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Add cream cheese, broken in small pieces, and vanilla.
- Stir until cheese is dissolved; chill. Fold in or mix up whipped cream. Chill thoroughly.
- Arrange strawberries over the bottom of a 12x8x2-inch baking dish.
- Spoon pudding over berries. Sprinkle with the remaining brown sugar.
- Place under a broiler for 1 to 2 minutes or just until sugar melts, or use 8 individual ovenproof dishes. Serve immediately.