- 1 cup dried lima beans
- 1 cup dried white beans
- 1 cup dried pink or red beans
- 8 cups water
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped (1 large)
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- 1¼ tablespoons fresh basil, chopped (or 1 tsp dry)
- ⅔ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1¾ teaspoons salt
- ⅔ cup raw Virginia peanuts, (ground to meal)
- Combine beans and water; bring to a boil for 2 minutes, cover and remove from heat.
- Let beans soak for 1 or 2 hours.
- Drain off water and add 8 new cups of water, the return to a boil and cook over low heat for 1 hour.
- (or do it the quick way in a pressure cooker).
- While beans cook, heat broth in a non-stick skillet and add onion and pepper.
- Sauté until soft but not brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add celery and parsley and cook 3 minutes longer.
- Add sautéed vegetables to beans along with seasonings.
- Continue to cook, covered, until very tender (about 1 to 1½ hours longer).
- When just about cooked, stir in the ground peanuts and cook for 15 minutes more.
- Freezes well.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.