- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons yeast in ½ cup water
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups + 2 cups + 1½ cups (6½ cups total) white flour
- 4 to 6 tablespoons milk powder (optional)
- Place sugar, shortening and salt in a large bowl.
- Pour 2 cups boiling water over it.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Beat 3 eggs for 10 to 15 minutes in mixer.
- Dissolve 2 tablespoons yeast in ½ cup water beat into lukewarm mixture from above 3 cups white flour, add eggs and yeast.
- Beat well and add 2 cups of flour.
- You may add 4 to 6 tablespoons milk powder if you want.
- Add 1½ cup flour or more to make sticky dough stiffer and elastic.
- Put in greased bowl and refrigerate.
- Or let dough rise almost triple in bulk.
- Form butterhorn rolls: roll ⅓ of the dough out in a circle, and cut into 16 wedges with a pizza cutter.
- Let rise.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes at 350°F.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.