Source: TJ Hill - Appetites Catered
- 12 Servings
- 6 whole butternut squashes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups halved and sliced onions
- 3 cups peeled, cored, sliced apples, green only
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ½ cup unsalted chicken broth
- ¾ cup fresh breadcrumbs
- ¾ cup grated sharp cheese (Colby, Cheddar, Parmesan, Monterey Jack, or Mozzarella)
- ½ pound sliced bacon, crisp cooked, drained, and crumbled or chopped
- Peel squash and cut in half lengthwise.
- Remove center seeds and strings, and then slice thinly. Heat butter in a skillet, over a medium flame.
- Add onions and sauté for 10 minutes.
- Combine apples and flour; toss to coat well.
- Place half of the squash into a buttered 9x13x2-inch baking dish or hotel pan.
- Arrange half the apples in a layer on top of the squash place the remaining squash on top of the apples.
- Cover with the remaining apples.
- Top with the sautéed onions. Pour stock over all.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes, or until squash is tender; combine breadcrumbs, cheese, and bacon; mix well.
- Spread mixture over the gratin. Bake at 350°F for 15 – 25 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before serving. Serve hot.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.