- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 675 g / 1½ lb butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 300 ml / 10 fl.oz milk
- 600 ml / 20 fl.oz strong vegetable stock (chicken stock can also be used)
- salt and black pepper
- freshly grated nutmeg
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan add the onion and sauté over a medium heat until softened, turning from time to time.
- Add the squash and continue to sauté, over a medium heat for about 5 minutes, turning a couple of times.
- Add the milk, stock, salt and pepper, stir well and bring almost to the boil. Reduce the heat, partially cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly then transfer to a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
- Return to the saucepan, add the nutmeg and heat through. Serve hot.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.