Similar to tangy fruitcake, this fruit-based dessert is made from real fruit juice, raisins, orange zest, and vinegar.
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- juice from 2 oranges
- ¾ tsp. almond extract
- 2 ½ cups sugar
- 2 cups raisins
- orange zest from 2 oranges
- 1 cup butter
- 1 ½ cup milk
- 2 tbsp. vinegar
- 4 eggs
- Sift together first 4 ingredients.
- Combine ½ cup orange juice and ½ cup sugar until sugar is dissolved. Add almond extract and refrigerate.
- Grind reserved orange rind and add to raisins. Combine together milk and vinegar.
- Cream the butter and remaining sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time.
- Add the dry ingredients gradually and mix well.
- Pour into the pan.
- Bake 60 to 70 minutes.
- Remove from oven and spoon reserved orange juice mixture over the top and between cake and sides of pan.
- Return cake to the turned-off oven for 1 hour.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.