Similar to the tangy fruitcake, this fruit-based dessert is made and mixed with real fruit juice, raisins, orange zest, and vinegar and keeps a sharp, sour aroma with the cake base and fruits.
- 4 cups flour
- ¾ tsp. almond extract
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 cups raisins
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 ½ cup milk
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tbsp. vinegar, white only
- 2 ½ cups sugar, brown or white only
- 4 eggs
- juice from 2 oranges, reserving 6 tablespoons juice
- orange zest
- 1 cup butter
- Sift first 4 ingredients. Combine ½ cup orange juice and ½ cup sugar until sugar is dissolved. Add extract; refrigerate.
- Grind reserved rind and add to raisins. Combine together milk and vinegar. Cream the butter and beat with the rest of sugar. Add eggs, one at a time.
- Add the rest of the ingredients gradually. Pour into the pan.
- Bake 60 to 70 minutes. Remove from oven and spoon 6 tablespoons reserved orange juice over the top and between cake and sides of pan.
- Return cake to the turned-off oven for 1 hour. Serve cold and plain or with other desserts but transfer the fruit-based cake to a cake plate and cut into serving pieces with the kitchen knife.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.