Sauce Recipes by the South Carolina Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- 1 quart tomato juice 
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp dry mustard
- 1 Tbsp celery salt
- 1 Tbsp red pepper
- 1 Tbsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp allspice
- 1 Tbsp grated onion
- 1½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup vinegar
- Mix brown sugar, mustard, salt, red pepper, black pepper, paprika, cornstarch and allspice in a heavy saucepan.
- Combine tomato juice, Worcestershire sauce and vinegar. Add a small amount to the dry ingredients to form a paste to prevent lumping before adding the balance of these liquids. Add grated onion.
- Cook on very low heat, usually 2 hours until thickened. In the beginning, stir frequently (the cornstarch has to be addressed properly while mixture is still cold).
- ↑ If you don't have tomato juice, you can use 1 quart canned tomatoes pureed in blender and adjust cornstarch to 1 Tbsp
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.