- 2 pound potatoes, peeled (about 6 medium) 12 ounces bacon, diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 cups finely shredded cabbage
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¼ cup chopped chives or green onion tops
- In a large pot, cover the potatoes with 5 cups of water.
- Cover,bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes, or until tender.
- With a fork or potato masher, break up the potatoes.
- Do not drain.
- They should be lumpy,not smooth.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet on medium heat, cook the baconuntil crisp.
- Remove the bacon and drain off all but 2 tablespoons fat.
- Add the garlic and cabbage to the skillet and saute until the cabbage is wilted, about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle on the vinegar and add the cream.
- Simmer on low heat until the cabbage is crisp-tender, about 10minutes.
- Add the cabbage, its liquid and the diced bacon to the potatoes and water in the pot.
- Simmer everything together until the tastes are combined, about 5 minutes.
- Season well with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with chives before serving.
contributed by : Edit
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.