- 1 cup rice
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp msg
- 2 cups canned tomatoes or 1 can tomato paste (reserve 1 cup (half the can) for the rolls)
- Separate cabbage leaves and drop separately in salted boiling water and cook a few minutes until limp.
- Cook all leaves then let drain.
- Trim leaves of heavy stems.
- Reserve stems and put in bottom of saucepan.
- On each leaf place 1 heaping tbsp of filling and roll firmly.
- Place cabbage rolls neatly in rows making several layers.
- Place garlic buds among leaves as you roll.
- Add 1 cup tomatoes and enough hot water to cover rolls.
- Sprinkle ½ tsp salt over all.
- Cook 25 minutes to 35 minutes.
- During last 5 minutes of cooking, add the juice of 2 lemons.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.