- 1 head cabbage (2 lb); shredded
- 6 medium potatoes; peeled and diced
- 3 tbsp lard
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1 clove garlic; minced
- ½ tsp caraway seed
- 1 tsp paprika; Hungarian of course
- salt and pepper
- Cover potatoes with water; add salt and cook until half done.
- Add cabbage and more water if necessary to barely cover.
- Continue to cook gently until cabbage is cooked but still crisp.
- Stir cabbage and potato now and then.
- While cabbage and potato are cooking melt fat in saucepan and add flour.
- Cook over low heat stirring constantly until mixture is light tan in color.
- Remove from heat; add garlic caraway seed and paprika; mix to combine.
- When cabbage and potato are cooked add flour mixture to pot and stir in quickly so lumps do not form.
- Continue to simmer so flavors blend about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.