- 2 lbs small shrimp
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup dry white wine
- ½ cup fine cornmeal
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- oil (for deep frying)
- Rinse shrimp in cold water.
- Drain well and set aside in a cool place until needed.
- Using a fork, whisk together the eggs and dry white wine in a small bowl, then set aside in a cool place.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, chives, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Gradually whisk in the egg mixture, blending well.
- Cover the batter and then let stand for about 1 hour at room temperature.
- Heat 2 to 3 inches of oil in a large frying pan or deep-fryer to 375°F.
- Dip the shrimp into the batter and fry in small batches for 2 to 3 minutes, turning to color evenly until golden brown.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot with your favorite dip.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.