- Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- From: www.cinnamonhearts.com
- Recipe from: The Diabetes Snack Munch Nibble Nosh Book, 2nd Edition, 2003 by Ruth Glick.
- Makes 10 Servings
- 1 cup low-sodium or regular stewed tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ Tbsp cider vinegar
- ½ tsp dried marjoram leaves
- ½ tsp dried thyme leaves
- ¼ tsp salt, or to taste (optional)
- 2 – 3 drops hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 (15oz) can low-sodium or regular kidney beans, rinsed and well drained
- ¼ cup thinly sliced green onion, including tops
- 1 large celery stalk, diced
- In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes, oil, vinegar, marjoram, thyme, salt (optional and not included in nutritional analysis), andhot pepper sauce. Stir to mix well.
- Stir in the rice, beans, onion, and celery.
- Serve the salad at room temperature, or cover and refrigerate before serving.
- Leftover salad will keep in the refrigerator 2 to 3 days.
Per (½ cup) serving:
- 100 Calories | 2g Total Fat | 0 mg Cholesterol | 16 mg Sodium | 4g Protein | 17g Carbs | 3g Dietary Fiber | 2g Sugars
- Exchanges: 1 Starch | ½ Mono-unsaturated Fats