Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 1 small onion — chopped
- 3 cloves garlic — minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 stalks celery — chopped
- 1 green bell pepper — chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme (or ½ tsp dried) -- chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano (or ½ tsp dried) -- chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil (or 1 tsp dried) -- chopped
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning (or more to taste)
- red pepper to taste
- 1 x 14½ oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 x 16 oz can black-eyed peas — rinsed and drained
- cooked white or brown rice
- In a large skillet, saute the onions, garlic and bell pepper in oil on medium heat.
- Add chopped celery and continue to saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add thyme, basil, oregano, black pepper, Cajun seasoning, and red pepper to taste.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until onions are golden, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes, honey, and mustard and simmer 5 more minutes.
- Add the peas, cover, and stir occasionally until thoroughly heated.
- Serve over rice.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.