- 1 lb fresh spinach or callaloo greens
- 1 lb okra, topped and tailed
- 1 medium-size onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 bouquet garni: scallions, fresh thyme, and parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ scotch bonnet-type chile, minced
- 6½ cups water
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ lb cooked ham, cut into ¼-inch dice
- juice of 3 limes
- Clean the spinach or callaloo thoroughly, and remove the woody central stems.
- Chop the okra and the callaloo and place them in a large saucepan.
- Add the onion, bouquet garni, salt and black pepper, chile, and water.
- Bring to a boil and cook, covered, over a medium flame for 30 minutes.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and put it through a food mill until it is a smooth purée.
- Replace it in the saucepan and add the garlic, ham, and lime juice.
- Continue to cook over medium low heat for 10 minutes.
- Do not allow the soup to come to a second boil or it will lose its texture.
- Serve immediately.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.