Mexican hot flower soup. A festive, traditional Mexican holiday first course soup or light lunch.
- 6 cups chicken stock
- ½ cup vermicelli or long-grain rice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove pressed garlic
- ½ chopped onion
- 3 whole cooked chicken breasts, cooked and julienned
- 1 can tomato with green chili or tomato with cilantro and lime, or 2 peeled chopped fresh tomatoes
- 2 fresh green chilies, chopped and unseeded
- salt to taste and fresh ground pepper
- 4 or 5 ripe California avocados
- tortillas, flour or corn
- garnish with ½ avocado, sliced thin, toasted sunflower or pumpkin seeds, small amount of cilantro.
- Use the vermicelli that is cut or break up coiled type.
- Fry the vermicelli or rice until golden, add chopped onion and garlic.
- Cook until onion is clear.
- Broth should be simmering with tomato and green chile.
- Add golden rice or vermicelli to simmering stock and cover 15 minutes or until rice or pasta is done.
- Add chicken and cook till heated through.
- Ladle into bowls, garnish with ½ California avocado, spare amount of cilantro, seeds, lemon or lime.
- Serve with warm tortillas.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.