This recipe is for 6 serves.
- 2 pounds beef and/or Veal bones, with some meat attached
- 2 quarts cold water
- 1 carrot, peeled and quartered
- 1 onion studded with 2 cloves
- 2 small celery ribs with leaves,
- 3 sprigs parsley and 3 sprigs oregano, tied together with kitchen string
- Place the bones in a large stockpot, add the cold water, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Let boil 5 minutes, and skim off as much of the foam and fat that has risen to the surface as possible.
- Reduce the heat and add the carrot, Onion, and herb bundle.
- Simmer partly covered over low heat, skimming occasionally, 2 to 2-1/2 hours.
- Strain the broth, and let cool, if possible, over a bowl of ice.
- Refrigerate overnight, and remove the fat that has congealed on the surface.
- This broth will keep 3 to 4 days refrigerated or up to 6 months in the freezer.
- Remember that this broth is unsalted.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.