- 4 egg yolks
- ¾ Cup Sugar
- 2 Cups milk
- ½ Cup whipping cream
- 2 ½ Pounds California avocados, ripe (5 medium)
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- hazelnut Shards
- hazelnut Shards:
- Yield: 24 servings
- 2 ¼ Cups Sugar
- 5 Tbsp water
- ¾ Cup hazelnuts, skinned, toasted, coarsely chopped
- Beat yolks and Sugar until ribbons form; reserve.
- Heat milk to boiling, stirring frequently.
- Temper reserved egg mixture with a little hot milk; stir tempered mixture into remaining hot milk..
- Heat mixture over low heat to 185 degrees F, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; continue to stir a few minutes; stir in cream.
- Thoroughly chill mixture.
- Meanwhile, pit and peel avocados.
- Puree in a food processor with lime and lemon juices.
- Whisk avocado puree into chilled custard.
- Freeze in an ice cream freezer following manufacturer's instructions.
- Store in an airtight container in the freezer.
- Garnish each serving with hazelnut Shards
- Hazelnut Shards Preparation:
- Mix Sugar and water in a heavy saucepan.
- Over medium-low heat, cook Sugar and water without stirring until water evaporates and Sugar turns golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Working quickly, stir in finely chopped nuts.
- Immediately very thinly spread mixture on a buttered sheet pan
- Cool. Break into shards.
See also Edit
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.