- Sort and rinse black beans.
- Place in heavy pot, cover with cold water (at least 2 inches above level of beans).
- Bring to boil; simmer until tender (about 1 ¼ hours) adding more water if necessary.
- When tender, drain beans, reserving bean cooking liquid.
- Toast cumin seeds lightly in heated skillet about 2 to 3 minutes; crush finely.
- Combine ground cumin seeds with the oregano, sage, bay leaf and scallions.
- Heat olive oil in skillet, add onions and saute until translucent. Add green, red and jalapeño peppers. Saute 1 to 2 minutes. Remove vegetables with slotted spoon to heavy pot.
- Add Beef and brown. Add to sauteed vegetables.
- Add remaining ingredients to beef-vegetable mixture.
- Bring to boil, then simmer until Beef is tender (about 1 hour).
- Add beans the last 15 minutes of cooking to heat through.