- 3 large very ripe California avocados, pitted and scooped from peel.
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lime or lemon juice.
- ¾ cup finely chopped red onion
- 3 cups peeled, seeded, drained, and chopped ripe tomato
- 2 cups chopped fresh basil
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound linguine or other dried pasta
- fresh basil sprigs for garnish
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, preferably Parmigiano-Reggiano, for passing.
- In a large pot, bring 4 quarts water to a boil over high heat.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, mash the avocado.
- Stir in the lime or lemon juice, onion, tomato, chopped basil, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Set aside.
- When the water boils, stir in 1 tablespoon salt, add the pasta, and cook until tender but still firm to the bite.
- Drain and transfer to a preheated bowl.
- Quickly stir in the reserved avocado mixture.
- Garnish with basil sprigs and serve immediately.
- Pass the cheese at the table.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.