- 4 bundles of callaloo
- ¼ lb salt fish
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 blade eschallot
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 slices bacon
- 2 oz salt beef or pork
- few shrimp or prawns
- 4 tbsp oil or 2 tbsp margarine
- Wash and soak the salt fish for 1 hour.
- Discard the water and, with fresh water, boil until tender.
- Chop the onion, garlic and seasoning coarsely.
- Cut up the salt beef and bacon.
- Wash the shrimp or prawns, and shred the salt fish.
- Wash the callaloo leaves.
- Heat the oil, fry garlic and onion for 3 minutes, then add the salt beef and fry for about 5 more minutes.
- Add the other ingredients, except the callaloo and fry for another 10 minutes.
- Add the callaloo and pepper, stirring briskly for 3 – 4 minutes.
- A little more oil can be added if necessary.
- Serve hot with rice, or pile up on biscuits.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.