- 8 oz. self-rising flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 cup milk
- Milk or egg yolk for glazing
- Heat oven to 425 degrees
- Grease tray
- Sift flour and salt
- Cut butter into flour and using fingers, rub lightly
- Mix to a soft dough with milk. Turn onto a floured surface and knead slightly
- Flatten out with palm of hand to approximately 1/2 inch thickness.
- Cut with scone cutter or glass dipped in flour
- Place scones, touching each other on tray
- Glaze tops with milk or egg yolk
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Enjoy with jam, cream and tea!
The less the dough is handled, the lighter the scones will be. Mixture should resemble bread crumbs when butter is rubbed in. Lift out of bowl as you rub, to allow air into mixture.
Contributed by: Edit
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.