Prep Time: 25
Cook time: 35
This really is the crème de la crème of tarts. Great at any time, the flavours in this dish are absolutely exquisite. Serve with vegetables or salad for a tasty meal.
- 500 g shortcrust pastry, freshly made or ready prepared
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 large red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 large red peppers, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 100 ml fresh milk
- 100 ml fresh cream
- 4 large free range eggs, beaten
- 6 oz cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C.
- Roll the pastry to fit a greased 9 inch flan tin. Push well into the tin and bake blind for 10 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Heat oil in a medium sized saucepan and lightly fry the onions for 10-15 minutes until very soft and brown. Add the peppers, balsamic vinegar and sugar and continue to cook for a further 5-10 minutes until caramelised.
- Sprinkle half the cheese in the bottom of the flan case and top with the onion and pepper mixture.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, cream, remaining cheese and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour over the other ingredients in the flan case and bake for 35-40 minutes until the flan has set.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.