Flemish Beef Stew
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Makes 6 to 8 Servings.
- 2 pounds stew beef
- salt and pepper
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- ½ pound onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1 quart beer
- bay leaves
- 1 large baking potato, cubed (optional)
- 2 cups sliced carrots (optional)
- 4 thick slices French bread
- Dijon mustard
- cooked rice
- Season meat with salt and pepper.
- Brown in oil.
- Remove meat in large kettle.
- Sauté onions in same pan.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over onions land cook a few minutes more.
- Deglaze pan with vinegar and pour pan contents into kettle with meat.
- Cover with beer, thyme and bay leaves to taste.
- Add potato and carrots, if desired.
- Remove crusts from bread and coat generously with Dijon mustard.
- Place bread on top and bring to a boil.
- Turn down to a simmer and cook, covered, for 2 hours.
- When stew is stirred, bread will dissolve and thicken the stew.
- Serve over rice.
- Variation: add more Dijon mustard according to your taste.
- Stew can be cooked uncovered if you prefer it thicker.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.