- 1 cup pitted dates, cut up
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup carob powder
- 3 tbsp safflower shortening
- ¾ cup + 1 tbsp, boiling water
- 1 tsp orange blossom water or vanilla extract
- ¾ cup honey (warmed to pouring consistency)
- 1¼ cups whole wheat flour
- Place the dates, baking soda, salt, and carob powder in a mixing bowl.
- Toss lightly with a fork.
- Add the shortening and boiling water, but do not stir.
- Let stand 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine the eggs and orange blossom water or vanilla.
- Add the honey and flour, stirring until well blended.
- Add the date mixture, stirring just to blend.
- Pour into a well-greased 9- by 5-inch loaf pan.
- Bake 45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool before removing from pan.
- Serve plain or top each slice with plain yogurt sweetened with a little honey.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.