- 1½ pt milk
- 1 strip lemon peel
- ½ oz prepared dried carrageen
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 sticks rhubarb
- 4 tbsp rosehip or red currant jelly
- Bring the milk to the boil with the lemon rind.
- Stir in the carrageen and cook for a couple of minutes until the milk thickens enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Add sugar.
- Allow the mixture to cool until it is at blood temperature (100°F, 40°C).
- Whisk the egg till frothy and then whisk in the warm milk until smooth.
- Pour the mixture through a sieve into a cold-wetted ring-mould.
- Then put it in the fridge to set - it will only take about ½ hour.
- Run hot water over the outside of the mould and turn out the jelly.
- Fill the middle of the ring with a ladelful of rhubarb compote and surround with a little scarlet sauce of rosehip or redcurrant jelly melted in a little hot water.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.