purchased from the Zimmerman Estate in Terrell, Texas in 1989
Date on card says 1944
- 2 cups navy beans
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ¼ cup chopped white Onion
- 1 cup boiling water
- ½ pound salt Pork (I have also used Bacon and it works extremely well)
- Wash beans.
- Cover with water and soak overnight.
- Drain well.
- Cover with a large amount of boiling salted water and boil slowly for 1 hour. Drain well.
- Combine salt, Sugar, molasses, bay leaf, mustard, Onion and water and add to beans.
- Pour into bean pot. Score rind of Pork and press into beans, leaving the rind exposed.
- Cover beans with additional boiling water and bake in 300 degree oven for 4 hours.
- Remove cover for last hour of baking
Contributed by Edit
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.