From my Aunt Maggie's Collection. Dated 1919.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 box vanilla wafers
- 6 bananas
- 1 teaspoon banana extract
- Combine 1/2 cup Sugar, flour and salt in top of double boiler then stir in milk.
- Cook over boiling water, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Cook uncovered 15 minutes more stirring occasionally.
- Beat egg yolks and gradually stir in hot mixture.
- Return to double boiler and cook 15 minutes stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat. Add vanilla and banana flavorings.
- Line bottom of casserole with vanilla wafers and top with a layer of sliced bananas.
- Pour a portion of custard over the bananas and continue to layer wafers,bananas and custard ending with custard on top.
- Beat egg white stiff. Add 1/4 cup Sugar.
- Pile on top of pudding in casserole.
- Bake in 425 oven for 5 minutes.
Contributed by Edit
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.