From my grandmother's collection. Dated 1932. This one has a notation that it is out of the 1930 Farm Journal Magazine.
- Contributed by Cat's Recipes Y-Group
- 2 cups light brown sugar, firmly packed
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup light corn syrup
- 1½ cups shredded coconut
- 1⅓ cups half and half
- Combine brown sugar, sugar and half and half in heavy saucepan with buttered sides.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Continue cooking to the soft ball stage. Remove from heat.
- Add butter and salt without stirring.
- Cook to lukewarm. Add vanilla and beat until creamy.
- Fold in coconut all at once.
- Pour into buttered and chilled square pan.
- Cook in refrigerator for at last two hours. Cut into slices.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.